CSBA Summer Bee College 2020
June 13, 2020
The Colorado State Beekeepers Association holds its summer meeting June 13, via Zoom. MacArthur fellow and keynote speaker Marla Spivak talks about bee breeding at the University of Minnesota, with a second presentation titled “Landscapes for Bees.” Hollie Wall-Dalenberg explores the mysteries and marvels of propolis.
Watch Bee Culture’s and CSBA’s own Tina Sebestyen conduct a hive examination. Ask questions! See your beekeeping friends on your computer screen! Eat, drink, and be merry in the security of your own home! Learn a lot! Close out the day with an online cookout!
- 7:30-8:00 a.m. Mountain Daylight time. Finish your breakfast. Make some iced tea for later. You’ve got bee hives in your backyard? Good. Find your bee suit, hive tool, smoker. Fire up your computer and get on Zoom. Let’s go!
- 8:00-8:15 Let’s all get comfortable with Zoom.
- 8:15-8:30 President’s welcome
- 8:30-9:15 Dr. Marla Spivak. Keynote address. “A new bee breeding program at the University of Minnesota.”
- 9:15-9:30 Get out to your bees, if you can. Bring your laptop.
- 9:30-10:00 Smoker lighting contest (NO cheating!)
- 10:00-10:30 Queen finding contest (Sorry, marked queens don’t qualify!)
- 10:30-11:00 Hive inspection, Tina’s way, courtesy of CSBA’s own Tina Sebestyen.
- 11:00-11:15 Let’s re-locate indoors, or at least in the shade.
- 11:15-12:00 CSBA general meeting
- 12:00-12:45 Lunch
- 12:45-1:30 Hollie Dalenberg. “The marvels and mysteries of honey bee propolis.”
- 1:30-2:15 Dr. Marla Spivak “Landscapes for Bees.”
- 2:15-2:30 Break
- 2:30-3:15 Ask the experts! Members get an opportunity to ask questions of a distinguished panel that includes Marla Spivak; Colorado commercial beekeeper Tom Haefeli; former Bee Culture editor and prodigious bee writer Kim Flottum; Auburn University professor, lifelong beekeeper and bee educator Jim Tew. Wow!
- 3:15-5:00 Nap time
- 5:00 Backyard barbecue and cocktails, BYOB.