The Colorado Beekeepers Association shall be composed of Beekeepers of the State of Colorado and those interested in allied industries for the purpose of producing better beekeeping methods, better beekeepers, and a more unified system of apicultural work in Colorado.
The state association was organized in Denver in 1880 by J.L. Peabody, E. Milleson and Olive Wright. It was incorporated as the Colorado State Beekeepers’ Association in 1888 and is affiliated with the American Beekeeping Federation. The CSBA is the oldest and most widely recognized beekeeping organization in Colorado.
The CSBA functions as an umbrella organization for affiliated regional beekeeping associations and clubs in the State. In addition, the CSBA represents the concerns and interests of all beekeepers in the state including not only backyard hobbyists but also the commercial beekeeping sector. The CSBA functions as the main interface between State and Local agencies and beekeepers.
All dues and monies collected by the CSBA go toward producing better beekeeping methods, better beekeepers and a better understanding of Colorado apiculture through educational and social activities for both members and the public. The CSBA’s meetings, presentations, classes and activities provide a high level of cutting-edge information and education that are often the only opportunities for local beekeepers to learn about events and concerns within the larger beekeeping community.
In 2020 we had 2 new Associations/Clubs join the CSBA! In 2021 we hope to assist additional groups organize to support Beekeepers in previously un-served areas of the state.
- Build a Sustainable Beekeeping Program that can instruct our Beekeepers on Splitting, Queen Rearing and Swarm Rescue to capitalize on our overwintered local Colorado Bees.
- Continue progress on enhancing the forage opportunities throughout the state via public and private partnerships especially in dealing with Pollinator Highways.
- Provide the “Why Join a Beekeeping Association/Club” brochures to affiliated Associations & Clubs to use as COVID Meeting restrictions ease.
- Expand the CSBA Master Beekeeping Program to graduate our first Colorado Certified Master Beekeepers and increase the number of Beekeepers seeking education through all levels of the Colorado Master Beekeeping Program.
- Continue to offer the toll-free statewide swarm hotline (844-SPY-BEES) and expand the reach while increasing the use of the Hotline to Save the Bees and support the general public.
- Provide Beekeeping Outreach & Education to Community Groups, Garden Clubs, Schools and the General Public.