It is in the capacity of CSBA Pesticide Committee Chairman that I finally realized my obligation to my community. I must speak out about the important things I’ve learned with respect to pesticides. Systemic poisons have become so pervasive in our environment they are damaging the nervous and immune systems of all living things.
I have created a slide presentation covering:
- Why everything related to pesticides is so hard to understand and how to simplify it.
- How we arrived on pesticide treadmill and how to get off.
- The domino effect of sub-lethal doses and how everything is getting exposed.
Bee-zaar Holiday Sustainability Fair and Craft Sale
Friday, December 6th 5:00 – 9:00 PM at the Chilson Center in Loveland, NCBA is sponsoring its first large-scale event intended for participation by the general public. A combination Holiday Craft Sale and Sustainability Fair!
Our Bee-zaar will feature:
- A wide spectrum of local crafters selling their products (not limited to bee-based products),
- A variety of information tables sponsored by local non-profit and sustainability-oriented organizations,
- Two free showings of the award-winning film “More Than Honey” (Maximum 50 viewers per showing)
- and possibly, mead tastings!
For more information about the event or to apply as a vendor, see http://nocobees.org/beezaar
Home made Holiday Gifts: Bee Smooth Hand Balm with Elaine Patarini
Spend time with Hudson Gardens’ Lead Beekeeper Bob Shiflet for this intensive two-part course spanning the basics of starting, inspecting, and maintaining a healthy colony of honeybees. Natural beekeeping management methods will be emphasized. Topics will include The Amazing Honeybee, Beekeeping Basics, Honeybee Hive Management Systems, Honeybee Hive Management Systems, Hive Startup: Installing Package Bees and Nucleus Hives, Honeybee Hive Inspection, and Overwintering Honeybee Hives. Experience level: Beginner- Intermediate.
Class will be held at The Inn at Hudson Gardens.
Registration: $99/member, $109/nonmember. Call the Education Department at (303) 797-8565 ext. 306 or visit shop.hudsongardens.org to register.